DR FARHAAN ALTAF
MBBS, BSc(hons), FRCS (Tr&Orth), FRACS
Dr Farhaan Altaf is a highly trained orthopaedic spine specialist practicing in Perth. He is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and the Royal College of Surgeons in the UK.
Dr Altaf is committed to delivering the highest standards of patient-centred care for a range of spinal disorders. His experience extends from traditional non-operative treatments to the most advanced and innovative technologies, including minimally invasive and computer-assisted 3D navigation surgery.
Education and Training
Dr Altaf qualified from St Bartholomew’s and the Royal London Hospital Medical School in the United Kingdom in 2002.
He received the Jackson Burrows and Moreton Prize for outstanding academic achievement as a medical student.
While completing his Orthopaedic training at the North West Thames training programme in London, he developed his specialist interest in spinal surgery.
Dr Altaf has attained Fellowship in orthopaedic surgery, both in the United Kingdom (FRCS) and in Australia (FRACS).
In 2017, he was awarded the Mark Paterson Travelling Fellowship (supported by the Bone and Joint Journal and the European Federation of National Associations of Orthopaedics and Traumatology). During this fellowship, Dr Altaf visited centres of excellence in spine surgery in:
He has undertaken several prestigious international fellowships at world-renowned centres for spinal surgery, including:
- Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver, Canada. This was a comprehensive combined orthopaedic and neurosurgical spine fellowship covering all aspects of elective and traumatic adult spinal care. This was a high-volume centre providing tertiary care for all of British Columbia with a very active research programme
- Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, Australia. This fellowship programme provided exposure to the full spectrum of spinal surgery, including trauma, spinal cord injury, spinal deformity, tumour, infection and degenerative diseases of the spine
- Centre des Massues, Lyon, France. This fellowship was at a globally acclaimed centre for the surgical management of adult spinal deformity under the supervision of Dr Pierre Roussouly
- Nanoori Hospital, Seoul, South Korea. This fellowship provided training in the most modern and sophisticated techniques of minimally invasive spinal surgery by leading experts in the field
Before moving to Perth, he was a spine specialist at the world-renowned Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, UK.
Dr Altaf currently works as a spine specialist at Royal Perth Hospital, providing state-of-the-art spinal services to the people of Western Australia. He also consults and operates privately.
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons, UK (FRCS)
- Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Bachelor of Science, with honours (BSc Hons)
Dr Altaf has presented research in Australia and internationally in Italy, Canada, the UK, Turkey, the USA, Denmark, Austria, India and Ireland.
Find out more about his presentations
Dr Altaf has published more than twenty-five peer-reviewed medical research articles in journals such as:
- The British Medical Journal
- European Spine Journal
- Spinal Cord
- Spine Deformity
- Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques
He has also had his work published in two book chapters.
Find out more about his presentations
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Royal College of Surgeons, UK
Areas of Interest
- Disc herniation
- Spinal cord compression and myelopathy
- Cervical radiculopathy
- Neck pain
- Spinal stenosis
- Back pain
- Adult spinal deformity (scoliosis and kyphosis)
- Spondylosis (pars defects)
- Spinal trauma
- Lumbar spine decompression
- Cervical discectomy and fusion
- Cervical disc replacement
- Minimally invasive spinal fusion
- Anterior/Lateral/ Oblique approach spinal fusion
- Spinal deformity surgery (scoliosis and kyphosis)
- Direct repair for spondylolysis (pars repairs)
- Surgery for spinal trauma and Spinal cord injury
- Cervical facet joint injections
- Cervical nerve root sleeve injections
- Lumbar facet joint injections
- Lumbar nerve root sleeve injections
- Caudal epidural injections
Make an Enquiry
If you have any questions or would like to request an appointment, please get in touch today.